My method of finding products to use in my life requires a lot of research because when I find something I love, I usually stick with it for a long time.
In researching Vita World, the first thing that attracted me to this company and their product is they are the first to make their bottles from 100% recycled ocean bound plastic– WHAT!?
The more research I did, I found that there are SO many more reasons to support this company and use their Shampoo and Conditioner.
But first, let’s talk about how dangerous many beauty products can be..
As many of you may know, cosmetic products and ingredients do not need premarket approval from The FDA, which means that the insane amount of chemicals and toxins in many beauty products are not being regulated and continue to harm us every day.
In addition, cosmetic manufacturers have no legal obligation to report health complaints and issues caused by their products to the FDA.
Common toxins to avoid:
- PARABENS: Commonly used preservatives that increase shelf life, but are also potent endocrine disruptors. Can mimic the hormone estrogen and drive the growth of human breast tumors, decrease sperm count and lead to hormonal imbalances and reproductive issues.
- PHTHALATES: Plasticizing chemicals which help lotions and makeup penetrate and soften the skin. Linked to birth defects, lower sperm-motility, testicular atrophy, cancer, ADHD, obesity, type II diabetes and asthma, among other issues.
- SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE (SLS), SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE (SLES), AMMONIUM LAURYL SULFATE (ALS): SLS is usually used to create a foamy lather and is present in most body washes, shampoos and soaps. As penetration enhancers, SLS and SLES are also known to help other chemicals get into the body. All are linked to irritation of the skin and eyes, organ toxicity, neurotoxicity, allergies, reproductive toxicity, endocrine disruption, cellular or biochemical changes, mutations and cancer.
- BUTYLATED HYDROXYANISOLE (BHA), BUTYLATED HYDROXYTOLUENE (BHT): Synthetic preservatives that increase shelf life and are known carcinogens, linked to skin irritation, hormone disruption and liver damage.
- LEAD: A neurotoxin present in many lipsticks and glosses that is destructive to nerve tissue. Lead exposure has been linked to learning disabilities, behavior issues, infertility and menstrual irregularities.
- OXYBENZONE (BENZOPHENONE-3): A compound used in sunscreens because of its ability to absorb UVB and UVA rays. Studies have shown that this ingredient may cause cell damage and lead to skin cancer, hormone disruption and allergies.
- TOXINS DO NOT REMAIN ON THE SURFACE OF THE SKIN: Most chemicals used in beauty and personal care products are designed to penetrate the skin. Remember that the skin is your largest organ and what you put on it gets absorbed into your bloodstream. Cosmetic ingredients have been found in human tissues, including phthalates in urine, parabens in breast tumor tissue and synthetic fragrance components in human fat, which is why a growing number of studies are raising red flags on the health risks linked to these chemicals.
(info listed at Vita World)
So back to why Vita World is healthy for you AND the environment:
- Their vitalizing, nourishing and natural ingredients include:
- Argan oil
- Aloe leaf juice
- Broccoli sprout extract
- Cannabis sativa seed oil
- Neem flower and leaf
- Vitamin E
- Shea butter
- Jojoba seed oil
- + more listed here!
- Packaging is made from 100% recycled plastic
- Packaging is 100% recyclable
- Vita is certified by the Environmental Working Group (EWG)
- Their products are free of harmful microbeads
- They have non-toxic, recyclable labels and packaging. Many bottles are not recyclable if the label/ink is toxic
- Their label manufacturers are a solvent-free facility and use a gray water system to water the facilities garden.
- Cruelty free
Shop here, and use code ALDEN4CLEANOCEANS for free shipping!